Friday, 7 October 2016

Moving inside

I've given the whole of the inside two coats of white emulsion - not brilliant white but a slight off white. I had to tip the house every which way to get at the various bits and used a mini  roller for most of it after using a brush to cut in the edges. Doing this will give a good base for my wallpaper.

Next I tackled all the other woodwork namely the stairs, spindles and newels.
I did these with a Ronseal water based satin varnish.

Then it was a matter of building up all the components to make up the bannisters...

The mdf stairs soaked up a lot of varnish and I had to sand them down many times to get a smooth finish that I was happy with.

This is how they looked when I'd finished.
I still find fitting spindles, newels and banisters one of the most challenging things to do...

Not forgetting the stringer going up the side.

All the doors got my attention next. Sanded down and varnished in the same way.

Attic room

Private side entrance hall with door going into the shop area

Door looking through to landing area

And in between all of this painting and varnishing I've enjoyed quiet, relaxing times embroidering stair carpets to fit on the two sets of stairs....

Now finished and starting to fit it onto the stairs. I just need to add the brass stair rods to finish it off.

Wednesday, 5 October 2016

The painting begins

As I said in my last post painting a ready built model can be a daunting task but if you take your time and use some good quality brushes it is possible to do a good job.

I began by painting all the little mouldings around the windows first using a stone effect paint. I did the same with the moulding which runs above the first floor windows.

I then painted the top area in cream emulsion to represent a stucco effect.
Next came the windows....

All looking good so far. I needed to be careful and tried to avoid getting paint on areas where I didn't want it to be! It was very time consuming but worth the effort to get a neat finish.

Applying the maroon colour was tricky.

especially when painting the eaves! I needed a steady hand - no coffee!

The doors were no problem as I could take them off!

Outside painting completed

Monday, 3 October 2016

A surprise new project!

Welcome to Empire Stores!
Although I bought this new dollshouse earlier in the year I've only just begun my blog for it so please excuse the flurry of posts as I attempt to bring you up to date....
I have no idea what kind of retail premises it is going to be and as yet the poor shop remains nameless but I am nevertheless so excited about this one. I have always loved this property but thought I would never be able to afford it, although in all honesty I can say it was not at all a planned buy! I just happened to be having a look through Ebay one day and came across it and I couldn't quite believe that it was for sale at such a reasonable price and not only that it was located only along the road from where I live! I tell myself it must have been meant for me - so here we are.

One of the things that I love about Empire Stores is the 3d aspect and of course all the lovely architectural details which the Sid Cooke range of Dollshouse all have. This house has doors and windows on all three sides and is supplied on a turntable for all round viewing. I plan to have this house in our living room where it will have pride of place and the space to view it from all angles. It is going to look beautiful when lit up on an evening but that is a long way ahead yet.....

The shop area is a good size and includes a trades men's entrance as well as a private, gated entrance at the other side. Spacious shop windows on two sides offer plenty of display and with four rooms, two staircases and landings and a loft space, the living accommodation above provides lots of scope. I love the little side footpath and have a couple of ideas for that little area.

As you can see the house has been built already and I'm quite happy about that as having built my Jubilee House from the kit I know it will have been a challenging one to make up. The only disadvantage of decorating a ready built house are the problems you face in getting to some of the inaccessible bits and in the case of this one painting around mouldings which have already been glue in position ie. The windowsills etc. Yes I can foresee a few challenges ahead but I know it will be worth it.